The aim of Google News is to filter through the world’s news and make timely news accessible to readers in a way that’s easy for them to read, understand, and put to use.
Lots of traffic, credibility, and authority. If that sounds like something you’d like for your WordPress site (and let’s be honest, who wouldn’t) then read on to find out everything you need to know about how to submit your site to Google News.
What is Google News?
Google News is a news aggregator that curates a customizable flow of recent news articles and stories from the last 30 days.
Today, it’s even more than that as Google News stories can surface in other Google products, such as:
- Google News feed (duh)
- “Top stories” section in the SERP page
- The “News tab” in the SERP page (like the one you have for images, so to speak)
- Google Discover, Google’s new feed based on improved Knowledge Graph able to provide custom results based on a single user’s search history.
Here’s what Google News looks like:
Content is organized into categories, depending on your location and language settings. As a reader, you can also customize the feed to cover stories you are interested in.
How to Get Your Website on Google News, Discover, and News-Related Sources
Google News works differently than Google the search engine.
The latter sends out crawlers that scan the web for updates and indexes those updates. Google News has crawlers too but they mostly crawl and index websites and content that are deemed of high-quality, comply with Google News content policies, or have already been approved in the past.
In fact, until December 2019, you had to manually submit your site to Google News for it to be considered. But that’s no longer the case, as Google announced this:
“Publishers are automatically considered for Top stories or the News tab of Search.”
Barry Adams spotted it first:
Nice. So you don’t need to worry about doing anything, right?
Just sit back and wait for Google News to feature your site and drive more traffic to it…? Well, not exactly. Although anyone can get in Google News, you still need to meet certain criteria like:
- You have to create compelling content on a daily basis. It has to be news that’s relevant to your audience.
- You have to follow the Google News content policies, which covers standards for writing, accountability, authority, readability, technical guidelines, and news quality guidelines.
- You should never neglect the overall Webmasters guidelines which include the quality of your content, design of your content, the technical aspects of your website.
- Once you meet these guidelines, it’s time to getting started with submitting your site to Google News. I’ll show you how to do it properly later in this post.
Before that, let me clarify one important thing: